Tuesday, September 8, 2009

Uncertainty

Uncertainty has to be one of the worst of all human emotions. Here I am, so close to graduating from a University and I am still not even sure what course my like will take. Coming into college I had no idea what I wanted to do, I knew what my strengths were but I couldn't decide where to apply those strengths to. I initially joined the University as an undecided major, which of course seemed like the most appealing decision for someone who had never considered what to with life after education. I spent my freshman year taking a variety of courses that could possibly lead me into the right direction. After a full year as an undecided major, I knew writing and reading were my strengths but I also enjoyed keeping up with the world. Therefore, journalism is what I chose. Immediately when I entered the journalism major, I felt constricted by the tight rules that apply to journalism writing and didn't not like being free to right in a fashion that I felt was best suited for myself. What I really would like to do is music criticism, rock n roll writing if you will. Music has been my passion since I was a young child, and what I have lacked in sheer musical talent (I'm only a moderately good guitar player" I have made up for in sheer exuberance and ear for all sorts of varied and weird musics. Unfortunately, the University of Arizona doesn't seem to treat this type of writing as actual journalism, and I have been left to do these sorts of things on my own time. I stuck with the journalism major because I figured it will allow me some sort of breathing room when I graduate, but I have no clue what to do when that time comes.

2 comments:

  1. Dude. That is exactly why I abhor journalism. But at least it gives you a bit of an outlet and push up, so to speak. Maybe you'll get a chance to do like, internet writing and can therefore branch out and not be so constrained.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with Laura's comment here. Journalism's conventions can be suffocating, but as long as you’re writing on the side I think you will be fine. We have to make money somehow right? :) Have you ever read Joan Didion?

    I am glad you are using your blog as a place to post your reviews of music, shows, etc, as well as a place to contemplate emotions, life. . .

    ReplyDelete